Monday, October 30, 2006

Can Mobile Phones Replace iPods?

The recent trends and latest development in the mobile technology augurs well for music connoisseurs. However, the present scenario indicates that mobile phones have miles to go before they actually replace iPods. I believe in the future that that has immense possibilities for mobile phones, so let us find out more about the impending transition.

To be precise, I can expect a mobile music revolution over a span of time but till today a mobile phone is a mobile phone first and an ipod is an ipod by its very nature. However, the year 2006 has witnessed the launch of many music phones by all the major manufacturers and emergence of a market, which is still in its embryonic form for music-enabled mobile phones to challenge Apple Computer's leading position in the digital music industry with its ipods.

What I staunchly believe is that it’s going to take some time before this shift from ipods to media-centric phones becomes noticeable. However, the evolving technology and its ability to merge the portable music devices with mobile phones might create a potential market for a clear preference over the mobile phones by the technology savvy users in the near future. But we must not forget that even today amidst the big brands, Apple controls more than half of the market through its iPods and iTunes Music Store leaving a huge gap for the mobile manufacturers to cover up.

Moreover, I also must find a mobile phone that could replace an iPod for or even produce better sound quality and loudness. We have mobile phones like Nokia N-Series, Sony Ericsson walkman phones, Moto Razr V3i and the like that match the quality of sounds and many of them sounded better but the pricing, music delivery methods, mobile–PC integration matters too! And the likelihood that Apple would come up with a Wi-Fi iPod needs consideration as it has the capability to exist as an entity without losing its identity and market share to the mobile phones.

But when I asked myself what was I doing with my iPod? The answer I got was pretty rustic, that is it played MP3 files for me, I used it as a backup drive, and that's all about it. The organizer that includes calendar and contact numbers aren't that handy, especially when I can't use the iPod to call someone, rather I have to take the number stored in it and dial manually into the mobile phone. I was just wondering why anyone would do that when the contact numbers can sit happily on the mobile phone.

I staunchly believe that the two can in the long run turn out to be formidable competitors but, my personal opinion would centre around the age old adage of call a jack…a jack! As I believe that an ipod is an MP3 player par excellence and mobile phone is a great communication solution. The market is big enough to accommodate the aspirations of both. Although, personally I won’t mind having an additional function (MP3) on my mobile phone, which can help me turn away the blues! But that’s it! I won’t ever expect it to totally overshadow my love for the ipod.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]